Constructed in 1935, the June Road Bridge spans the Mianus River and is included in the Connecticut Register of Historic Places. Benesch succeeded in realizing the City of Stamford’s vision for restoring the integrity and safety of the bridge, while preserving its beauty and historic character, by combining modern design solutions with the bridge’s original aesthetics.
The scope of work included complete rehabilitation of the concrete arch and stone walls, design of scour counter measures, associated environmental permitting and safety improvements. The structure was constructed with a reinforced concrete core. The arch, spandrel walls, and wing walls were cladded in the stone veneer cut from the bridge’s existing stone to provide strength and resist impact loading.
Original capstones on the parapets were maintained and dowelled into the new concrete parapets to maintain the aesthetic, while the stones adjacent to the bridge were set behind new approach guide railing to protect against vehicular impact. Riprap was used for the stream channel to provide resilience from scour. A specialized, temporary, earth-retaining system—comprised of a braced sheet piling system—was designed to maintain the fill over the arch during construction.